While packing things for your trip, you are now thinking of bringing a travel kit. But, what are the most essential things to put in it so you can pack light and at the same time have the complete items? Be prepared and have fun on your vacation. This list will tell you the most important items to put in a vacation first aid kit.
First, you don’t have to buy a container or a whole and expensive first aid kit. A good durable plastic container with lid can be a good alternative. You can use a lunchbox, toy box, Tupperware or small toolbox to place these. Okay, we will now continue with the list.
1. Ointment and Petroleum Jelly
Ointment will help to soothe itchiness and reduce inflammation on insect bites. Antibiotic ointment is for quick healing of wounds and skin rashes. Petroleum Jelly can be used in many ways, it can heal dry skin and protect minor cuts. It can be also great for cosmetic use such as treating chapped lips and removing eye makeup.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide, Povidine Iodine and Alcohol
Hydrogen Peroxide is for cleaning of wounds. Alcohol can be used as antiseptic and for treating wounds but since using alcohol on wounds might leave you a stinging sensation, it will be best to use Povidine Iodine (Betadine) on wounds.
3. Tissue, Cotton, Gauze or Band-aid and Tape
You will wipe the blood surrounding the wound using tissue. After using cotton swab to clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide, put ointment or Povidine iodine on the wound and cover it with gauze and tape. For minor cuts and small wounds, band-aid will make the ointment or povidine iodine stay on the wound. It can also prevent further infection from the external environment. If in case you forgot or you don’t have cotton immediately, you can use a new sanitary napkin as alternative.
4. Bandage and Safety pins
For sprains, using bandage is a big help. You can use safety pins to avoid the bandage from falling off.
5. Scissors and Tweezers
Scissors if for cutting bandages, tape and gauze while tweezers will be used in pulling foreign object from the wound.
6. Sanitizer and Antiseptic wipes
If there is no alcohol, you can use sanitizer to clean your hands. If you don’t want your hands to be dry, just use a moisturizing sanitizer. If you cannot find a restroom or a sink, antiseptic wipes can be used when your hands or other parts of the body are very dirty and messy. You can use it too while you are inside the toilet cubicle.
7. Thermometer and hot & cold pack or compress
If someone’s not feeling well, aside from touching to know if his or her body is warm, you should use a thermometer to assess if he or she has a fever. Hot and cold pack or compress will help this to lower the fever or soothe the muscles from pain or injury.
These medicines can be bought over the counter. If you have allergies or any medical condition, have a medical consultation first before using any drugs. Aside from this medicines, bring the ones that were prescribed by your physician.
– For muscle and tooth pain. Can be used for menstrual cramps.
– Can be used as painkiller especially for headaches and minor aches.
- Laxatives and Oral Rehydration
– Laxatives are used to treat constipation while Oral rehydration can be used for treatment of Diarrhea.
- Antihistamine and Nasal Decongestant
– Nasal Decongestant if for colds why antihistamine is for colds where the main cause is allergies. If you don’t want to sleep immediately when taking these medicines, use the non-drowsy version of these.
– If you have heartburn or acid reflux, this will help you to sooth your esophagus or stomach.
– To reduce and prevent inflammation and infection
A mini flashlight will also do. It is better to see the affected area clearly by using this.
10. First aid booklet
You can easily know the proper procedures and treatment if you will just bring out your booklet and flip its pages. It is better to know the right way than doing it wrong, making the injured person suffer more.
You can save a life by bringing your travel first aid kit and treating the affected person right. You are now prepared to meet emergencies and you can now wait an ambulance or a doctor without panicking or deeply worrying a lot.